Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The King Khan & BBQ Show - The King Khan & BBQ Show (2005)


Listen

"This record can be summed up in five words: 'Motherfuck! This is so good!'

My own laziness astounds me sometimes. I’ve had this record for like three months and am only writing this review now. I don’t know why I waited so long, I love it and can’t say enough good things about the King Khan and BBQ Show (nee’ Mark Sultan) and their assorted side projects (well, I’m not so fond of the Shrines).

This is a re-release of their first album (originally on Goner Records) but this version has a swank gatefold cover, board game on the inside and a second, one-sided LP of the boys’ original demo. If you don’t know, the King Khan and BBQ Show are a minimalist garage/rock and roll/punk duo, but unlike many other of their ilk, they aren’t just influenced by 60s garage punk, but instead pay homage to 1950s doo-wop. I can’t NOT dance when I listen to ‘em. The first two songs are absolutely killer ('Waddlin’ Around' and 'Fishfight') but there are no dull songs. I may like this more than their second LP What’s for Dinner? but that’s debatable.

In the Red and Goner Records are definitely where it’s at these days. True, both labels have been around forever but it seems like both are really hitting their respective strides. It’s almost like when I first discovered Crypt or Sympathy for the Record Industry, when anything either put out was gold. With the questionable status of SFTRI and Crypt’s sporadic release schedule (well, they did just put out a King Khan and BBQ Show 7″) I kind of lost hope that dirty rock and roll would have a home. Buy this!" - Sal Lucci

No comments:

Post a Comment